Precautions you need to keep while writing a Resume
You can consider resume writing as an art of writing about yourself, it is just like the old Japanese art of origami where you can fold a paper in many ways according to the shape and size of the structure you are making.
The same way you can write or present a resume in many ways according to your need and suitability, but the one thing that you should always keep in mind while writing a resume is that always write your resume by considering yourself in the shoes of the person who is going to read and judge your resume.
Ask yourself what kind of qualities he would like to see in his employ and not only that you should also consider what kind of person would company like to hire and write accordingly to that mindset.
First, to decide whether you are the right person for a job or not, you should have a thorough knowledge about the post you are applying for and the demands of that job from an employ, Second, if you know anybody who works’s in that particular company, ask him what kind of person company was looking for that job, all the criteria and needs of that job.
Even if you don’t know anybody from that company you should consult with the HR department about their expectations from a person who was applying for that particular and then only after the considerate amount of research you should write your resume by keeping in mind the things that you learn.
Points to keep in mind while writing a Resume:
1. Brevity or conciseness is the heart and soul of a resume, People who scan dozens of resume on daily basis, reading a whole resume is a tedious task to do and not is easy to handle thus they only take about 30 to 40 seconds on a single resume and that’s why you need to tell what you want to tell about yourself in those 30 seconds thus try to keep your resume concise.
2. If you are applying for entry level job try to resume in a single page, even if you have lots of experience trying to keep your resume within 2 pages, and if you get any more experience or if I may say you have ultra experience(hahaha) the maximum limit for the resume is 3 but still 2 pages is ideal.
3. Exception is that if you just gotta have to tell in detail or if the space consuming details are absolutely necessary then there’s one thing you can do, you can provide those details as annex and refer to those pages in the main resume, you can either attach those pages to the main resume or you can provide those pages on demand.
4. Use the tabular format with borders only to tell your educational qualifications or work experience.
5. Staple each page properly and don’t forget to write page number and your name on each and every page of your resume, So even if your pages got de-attached the checker will find it less difficult to assemble your resume thanks to your name written on every page of your resume.
6. You can also use MS-Word resume templates to prepare your resume but it takes some time to create the perfect resume according to your needs, but it can be very beneficial as it provides you with various fonts format for both entry-level and professional resume.
7. But if you want to original and create and want to create your own resume, it’s perfectly fine and doesn’t harm you in any way but just don’t forget to include all the important details in your resume.
8. Apart from being informative and concise, your resume should be visually appealing too, So keep these following points in mind while designing your resume
- Be sure to use the same type of writing style or the same type of font throughout your resume, This makes the reader understand your point easily.
- Make use of the headings and subheadings properly and differentiate the headings from subheadings from each other by varying the size of the text.
- Prefer using left-flush headings as it helps in making flow or continuity in reading, some people use centered headings and thus this disrupts the flow of reading and might annoy sometimes.
- Use 1.25″ margin on the top and 1″ would suffice for left, right and bottom margins, if you make margins to small it will make your resume look cramped.
Use of the language properly is one of the deciding factors that if your resume will get accepted or not thus use lucid, concise and proper English while writing your resume, Grammatical mistakes and punctuational errors should be avoided while writing a resume as it’ll make you look less credible and sloppy.
9. Even if your job is something which does not demand your skills in a language or if you are not very good at English you still should take the help of someone who has superior skills than you in that language for correcting the errors or loopholes in your resume, because I am sure you don’t want your resume to get rejected just because of your less familiarity with a particular language.
Hey here’s an awesome book to cover all your doubts which I personally recommend for landing your dream job and writing a perfect resume Click Here to get this amazing book on Amazon.
Now let’s deal with important precaution related to each element:
Sometimes you have been asked to send your resume along with all your certificates and all that kind of validating stuff, Here the most important thing that you need to take care of is your name, if your name on the resume is different from the name on your certificates or if you changed your name for any reason, you should attach all the supporting documents with your resume which validate’s the genuinity of your new name.
2. Birth Place
If you are applying for a job in your native then there is no need to provide your birthplace but if you move frequently or if you were born in a foreign country you should include the birthplace as well as the date of birth in your resume, then again if you are applying for a job overseas then you should add your birthplace and date in your resume.
If your current address from where you are sending your resume is not your permanent address then you should provide one extra address or your permanent address along with the current address in your resume, like if you are a university student living in college dorms or if you are living in temporary rented house from which you might shift soon, in all these cases you should mention your alternate address along with your current address in your resume.
5. Carrier Objective
A carrier objective should not be more than 2 sentences long or not more than 3 lines, It is something which is used to show that you are the best candidate for that job and company can’t find anyone better suited than you for that particular job, That’s why never use phrases like “I am looking forward to learning more”, “It’s my pleasure that I can work here” as these kinds of sentences shows what company has to offer to you and not what you have to offer to company.
Careful and smart use of the carrier objective can be very beneficial for you thus if you are not too good with words to take help of someone who is, as though these are just 2 sentences but they can decide your fate with that particular company.
6. Work Experience
Work experience for an individual who’s been working before and have quite an experience in a field that he’s applying for than Work experience for him can be his previous job or any kind of training that he had done during his previous job, Work experience for entry level candidate can be an internship or any vocational training that he/she had done or any kind of international event in which they have participated .
One of the most important things to remember while mentioning your work experience is to make use of the keywords properly, use keywords which are more relevant with the job you are applying for, inculcate the use of job-related keywords in your work experience makes you a more favorable candidate for that particular job in the eyes of the person who was reading your resume.
The second most important thing to remember while writing work experience is to only include achievements which are related to the field of your expertise like for example if you are applying for software developer post and write your athletics achievements in your resume it’s going to do nothing because the only thing that matter’s for that job is your developer skills doesn’t matter if you are jumping huddles all your life!.
7. Educational Qualifications
Along with your diploma or college degree, you can add certification of any other classes that you might have attended during your graduating years like distance learning or an evening class, but the only caution you need to take care of is to only include those qualifications which are relevant to the post that you are applying for.
It is very important to mention the projects done by you during your previous job or during your college years, but only mention those projects which are relevant to your job, because the company executive might only interested in the things which are related to the company and thus mentioning all irrelevant projects might make your resume look unwieldy.
While mentioning the projects you do not have to stick to the rule of mentioning the recent projects first, just mention the projects which are more relevant to job first and the ones which are less related to the job later and do not mention the date with the projects, If the employer wants to know about the dates he himself will ask you that.
If you feel like all your projects are relevant to the job you are applying for and are equally valuable then write projects in reverse chronological order and make an annex page including all the details of your projects and refer that page in your main resume, In this way if the employer want’s to know more about your projects he can look them in annex section.
It is very important to self-analyze yourself and understand what are the skills that you possess that can be very beneficial in an organization.
Some common skills most people possess are:
- Leadership qualities
- Team building skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Positive mindset
- Communication skills
- Willingness to learn
- Winning over other’s by persuading them
- Ability to take a quick decision in a tough situation
- Adaptability according to the situation
- Handling pressure
- Openness to experience
So either if you have these skills or not, you need to self-assess yourself and identify your strong points and weak points and try to your weak areas to your strength and your strength’s to even bigger strengths.
Sometimes you also need to mention the skill that you don’t actually possess in your resume as it is the requirements of the job, for example, you mention that you have good communication skills even if you don’t have that particular skill set but that’s totally fine if you improve that skill before the interview otherwise they(employers) will see through your facade and consider you a lier!.
10. Knowledge about Organization
To write a proper resume you need to know as much as you can about the company you are applying for as it will help you mold your resume according to company demands, that’s now most job advertisements come with requirements.
Thus try to gain info about that company as much as you can, the company reputation, growth or capital and the next factor you need to research about is company culture and the way they work.
You can gain access to company growth and reputation through magazines or through company website but to know about company culture you need some internal help, like help from someone who’s been already working in that company.
11. Prizes and Achievements
Don’t try to over clutter your resume with tons of prizes and achievements, just mention those which are relevant to your job or those which holds a higher value.
For example, if you are applying for a software developer job and you are mentioning that you won an inter-college debate competition in some particular year, thus as per the job requirements are considered this achievement doesn’t hold any value thus be cautious about it.
References only become significant if your resume is satisfactory if your resume is satisfactory chances are that employees might even not look at your resume.
Generally in resume references consists of the name of a person which is qualified enough and the one which you trust, people are mainly used as references because they have satisfactory credentials.
If you are confused that whether you should include references in your resume then you should contact that company or should read it’s guidelines and requirements.
Second, you should always ask and take the permission of that particular person who names you are going to write as a reference in your resume.
Don’t try to add details like age, gender, height, eyesight, weight etc in your resume as this is completely unnecessary and sheer waste of time and space and doesn’t hold a single value as per your resume is concerned.
Finally resume is all about branding yourself and making you more employable.
I hope that you all will learn something valuable from it and implement it to make that perfect resume which makes you stand out from the crowd and help you get that one chance you have been waiting for.
After resume building, the next step is to prepare for the interview.
Here’s the link to my other post which will help you tackle ->Group Discussion like pro
And don’t forget to give us your :